Transitioning to Natural HairKnowing where you're going and how you'll get there makes any trip more enjoyable. The same is true with transitioning...
There are literally thousands of women who have made the decision to stop chemically straightening their hair. You are in good company. Even though there is more of an awareness of the benefits of going natural, there are still a lot of myths about natural hair. More and more women are proving that ideas like – natural curly/coily hair is impossible to manage – just aren't true.
As you begin transitioning from perms (relaxed hair) to natural, you will need to know what to expect. Knowing where you are going and how you will get there makes any trip more enjoyable. The same is true with transitioning to natural hair.
What you will have in store for you all depends on how much you know and how you plan to transition. Do you want to grow your hair out slowly with transitioning hairstyles and get some length before you do away with your chemically treated ends? Or are you ready to be completely done with your relaxer or perm now and are ready do a big chop (BC) and wear a teeny-weeny-afro (TWA)?
No matter what you decide, the transitioning tips and hairstyles on this site should make going natural a lot easier.
After going through the whole process it would be a shame to go back to relaxers or perms. The best way to keep that from happening is to be informed of all your hair options. Here are some things that you should do now:
- Write out your reasons for going natural.
- Start collecting pictures of natural hairstyles that would work with your texture of hair. It is a good idea to have styles for the various lengths of your hair, especially if you are planning to do the BC and start short .
- Buy or make pretty scarves that will match some of your favorite outfits. Invest in barrettes, hair clips and other hair accessories that you can use to jazz up your hair.
- Find other natural people to support you and encourage you.
- If you don’t already know how to braid or cornrow your hair learn and start practicing.
- Invest in a few nice looking wigs for those days or occasions when you just feel like having a different look.
- Learn all you can about natural styles and maintenance . Knowledge is power.
- Don’t believe the lie. Your hair is beautiful and it can be styled and maintained without the use of perms or relaxers.
If you l do this before you get overwhelmed by your circumstances, you will be less likely to find your self going back to chemicals and needing to start all over again.
Here are some other articles to help you along the way.