Doing the Big Chop (BC)
If you already have an inch or two of new growth and do not want to bother with the hassle of caring for two type of hair you may opt to just cut the entire perm off at once. This is usually referred to in natural circles as a Big Chop (BC). It can also refer to the final relaxer trim of the transitioning period.
There are many benefits to doing a Big Chop.
- You will not have to care for two different types of hair types at one time.
- You will be less likely to start relaxing your hair again out of frustration.
- People will have no time to discourage you.
- You can start enjoying your natural hair immediately
- You will get to enjoy your hair at all the various lengths short, medium, and long.
- It will give you a clean definite ending of one stage beginning of another.
- For some people it is a real confidence builder.
Getting it done
Whenever you plan to do the big chop get it done right. You want to do what is best for your hair by cutting off the perm. Don’t defeat the purpose by damaging your hair when you cut it. If you don’t have a good pair of hair trimming scissors, go and get a pair at your local beauty supply or drug store.
Please Do Not cut your hair with any old pair of scissors you have lying around the house. That is a recipe for starting your hair off with damaged ends. Now and when ever you trim your hair you should use hair trimming scissors and those scissors should only be used to trim hair.
If you don’t feel up to doing it, yourself go and get it done at a salon. If you don’t have a natural hair care salon aka a salon that is supportive of natural hair, consider going to a white or multiracial hair salon. Why? They usually will not give you stress about cutting your hair. Try to find one with younger stylists.
When I did my first BC I went from collar bone length relaxed hair to a one inch teeny-weeny-afro (TWA). I went to the Hair Cuttery in the mall. They were used to cutting black men’s hair so doing mine was no problem. The stylist asked me once if I was sure. Then she started from the front and proceeded to work backward. Before I could second guess myself it was done.